When it’s your home on the road, gas mileage can become an important factor to keep track of. Long distance trips consume a lot of gas. The bigger your rig the lower the gas mileage. You may not be able to improve your RV’s miles-per-gallon ratio, but there are many steps that you can take to increase its performance and better yet save some money in the long run.
- Talk to some other RVers that have a motorhome or tow vehicle and trailer similar to yours. Compare gas mileage and see if there is a significant difference, compare notes and try to determine what makes the difference.
- A clean air filter can improve your fuel economy up to 10 percent! Change your air filter at the proper intervals.
- Check your tire pressure to make sure they are at the proper recommended level. proper pressure can increase fuel economy by 3 percent!
- Keeping your RV in tip top shape will also help with fuel economy.
- Excessive idling and overdrive can reduce your fuel economy up to 33 percent so try and use cruise control as much as possible, this will keep your vehicle at a consistent rate!
- Make sure you are following the recommended service schedules. Whether it be an oil change or annual inspection.
- Use the recommended grade of oil, synthetic oils increase fuel efficiency.
- Poor emissions or a faulty oxygen sensor can cause a 40 percent reduction in fuel economy.
- Don’t go over the recommended weight of your RV when traveling. The heavier the RV the worse your gas mileage.
- Turn off the dash air conditioner if you do not need it. This will also help your fuel efficiency with putting less strain on the engine.
It’s important to keep track of your fuel economy when your RVing. To check how many miles to the gallon you are getting check to see where you’re at on your odometer when filling up your tank. Then when you stop to fill up again, divide the miles you traveled between fill ups by the amount of gas you bought the second time you filled up. This will tell you how many miles to the gallon you are getting. So if there’s room for improvement why not save yourself some money!